I finally had the opportunity to watch the action-thriller, The Finest Hours. This movie is packed full of suspense, action, and almost terror. Ever since I saw the first trailer for The Finest Hours, I was hooked. I thought to myself, “how could a movie trailer be this intense without giving away too much of the movie?” Well, today I got my answer – almost every scene is intense. What brings The Finest Hours onto an entirely different level than your typical action-thriller is that it is based on a true story.
This heroic action-thriller is based on the extraordinary true story of the greatest small-boat rescue in Coast Guard history. In 1952, a massive winter storm strikes off the coast of Cape Cod, ripping a T-2 oil tanker in half and trapping more than 30 sailors inside its rapidly sinking stern. When word of the disaster reaches the U.S. Coast Guard, four men led by Captain Bernie Webber (Chris Pine) set out in a 12-seat boat on a daring mission to rescue the stranded men, braving freezing cold, 60-foot waves and hurricane-force winds, and guided by Webber’s vow that “We all live, or we all die.” Packed with thrilling, larger-than-life action and anchored in a belief in the strength of the human spirit, The Finest Hours is a triumph.
I must say, I cried through the last third of the movie. I was swept away with emotion – afraid for those at sea, relating to their loved ones, and relieved in the end. The actors did an incredible job at bringing true and raw emotion to the screen. I couldn’t think of anyone that could have been better for these roles.
Let’s talk about the visuals. Just wow! The wild storm on the ocean was so realistic that I still wonder exactly how it was done. There were scenes that literally made me feel fear! We turned on our surround sound, which really brought the roar of the sea into our living room!
Based on the acclaimed non-fiction book of the same name by Casey Sherman and Michael J. Tougias, viewers can enjoy diving into the thrilling eye of the storm with: An all-new documentary “Against All Odds: The Bernie Webber Story,” in which real-life residents of Chatham recall the events that set the stage for the film’s historic rescue mission;Four making-of featurettes highlighting cast members experiences and reflections by members of the U.S. Coast Guard; as well as two never-before-shared Deleted Scenes.
Blu-ray Combo Pack, Digital HD, Digital SD, Disney Movies Anywhere
- Against All Odds: The Bernie Webber Story – Visit the quaint and close-knit town of Chatham, and experience the events surrounding the most heroic Coast Guard rescue ever through the eyes of the people who witnessed them.
- Brotherhood– Cast members reflect on the bonds they forged during the shoot.
- Two Crews – Chris Pine and Casey Affleck share insights into Bernie Webber and Ray Sybert, men who led their respective crews against all odds.
- What is Your Finest Hour? – A Coast Guard member recounts an incredible rescue.
- The Finest Inspiration: The U.S. Coast Guard – Meet the people who put their lives on the line for others.
- Deleted Scenes – A Desperate Idea and The Story of How They Met
- The Finest Inspiration: The U.S. Coast Guard
*Bonus Features may vary by retailer